Sunday, November 30, 2003

Bucky: In My Crosshairs

Cool.

Had to do grocery shopping today. On my way to the supermarket in Plumsteadville, I thought, "Huh. Today's Sunday. I first espied Bucky at Starbucks on a Sunday when I was getting ready to head to the Trenton train station with Dorian Gray. Huh. I could go for a latte about now."

So I turned left instead of right on 611 and headed to Doylestown.

Success. There behind the counter was Bucky. (Cut to me twirling my moustaches and laughing maniacly.)

Dialog:

Yours Truly: Hey, Bucky!
Bucky: Hey! How's it going? Good to see you! This would be your latte?
Yours Truly: That would be my latte you're fixin'. How was your Thanksgiving?
Bucky: It was great, Man. Ate a lot of turky. Spent time with my family. Got drunk. How was yours?
Yours Truly: It was good. Me and my Dad. And I was off work.
Bucky: Off work is a good thing. And I didn't have school.
[Bucky hands me my latte.]
Bucky: Good to see you.
Yours Truly: Good to see you, too.

I went into the lounge, taking a chair so I could watch the barista station. I was a little disappointed. Bucky didn't ask me how long I was gonna be around. But maybe I had missed his break. But maybe he was giving me the brush off! Damn. Anyway, Rex Stout kept my mind--but not my eyes--off of Bucky.

After Bucky showed no signs of taking a break, I decided that enough time had passed. Even though he was pretty un-effervescent when he made me my latte, I stopped by to check in with him on my way out. When I said g'bye and told him I was leaving, Bucky was crestfallen. (Crestfallen: there's a word I've only seen in print; I've never heard anyone speak the word 'crestfallen.) He told me he was working tomorrow. I told him I had to go into Philadelphia tomorrow, but I'd see if I could stop in at about 1pm before I caught my train. Buck brightened right up when he heard that.

It's weird. I think both Bucky and I want to ask, "So, you wanna hook up sometime?" but neither of us is quite prepared to do that. Bucky might not have decided that he likes men. And so he wants to give himself some comfort room to explore that. And I would totally blow this if I didn't give him that comfort room.

But safe to say, Bucky will be mine.


No comments: