Saturday, November 22, 2003

O! Sweet Mystery of Life...

After work today (yeah, I know it's Saturday, but Wuperior Soodcraft was open as the shop is closed next Friday and Monday in honor of deer hunting season), I went to Starbucks. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but... Starbucks Boy!

I almost almost almost got he and his cash register to take my order, but no, this... this... slattern, this hussy saw that the line was one person deep (that would be me) and jumped up and said, "Can I help the next person."

But all was not lost. As I was dosing my latte with turbinado sugar, I heard Starbucks Boy say something about a break. Today, the weather was beautiful here in Bucks County, so I hightailed it out to the porch, fired up a cigar, and settled down to read my Nero Wolf book and lie in wait.

After seven pages of Nero, out the door came Starbucks Boy. I ditched my book, and sat smoking meditatively. Mostly meditating on what the hell I should do.

But Starbucks Boy lept to the fore. He caught my eye, smiled--was that a smile of recognition???!! Dare I hope???!!--and came over, introduced himself, and sat down next to me!

Okay, Dutch. Be it cool.

We talked, Starbucks Boy and I. He's from here. He goes to the local community college, where he's studying political science. He's never lived anywhere else. He'd like to go somewhere like Vermont or the Midwest where he could be a Green Party activist. (He's young. He'll learn.) I told him to consider the Pacific Northwest, Los Angeles because of the great visual arts scene, and New Mexico, where the Green Party is pretty strong. I think I wowed him with all the things that I know.

And I let him know that I was a homo. Discussing my time in New Mexico, I mentioned that I was there with my Ex, and then a sentence or two later described my Ex as 'he.'

Lemme tell ya, folks, he is lucious.

Interesting.

What if this goes somewhere? I mean, Starbucks Boy could be my son. There's probably twenty years or so between us. He'd be my boy. What irony! I go out looking for a Dad, and the leathergods grace me with a boy. That would be just like those persnickety leathergods to do something like that, no?

*sigh*

Dutch and Starbucks Boy.

Starbucks Boy and Dutch.

(Cut the scene to the lobby of the Washington Plaza hotel during MAL in 2005)
"Oh look! There's Dutch and his boy, Starbucks Boy! I remember reading Singletails when Dutch first met Starbucks Boy. Aren't they a great couple?"

*sigh*

Anyway, gotta hit the road. Gotta get Faithful Companion to the boarding place so I can head north to meet up with this amazing man who delights in compelling guys to eat his shit.


As things develop, you'll read about them here.


No comments: