Thursday, November 20, 2003

Tell Me Where Is Beauty Bred?

Interesting development at work. "The Guys" are pulling for me to be assigned the scuffing table. That means my job will largely entail going over everything that's stained and sprayed with sealer with fine sanding tools before it gets glazed and top-coated. I'd be in favor of this. It would mean I'd spend less time at the sanding table with the nineteen year old burnouts, and I'd be part of the Finishing Room Crew. When there wasn't anything to scuff, I'd be in the finishing room, doing the staining, glazing, and (with training) the spraying. Way cool.

The Powers What Be might oppose this as I could rightly ask for more money. But, I think I've done an okay job at ingratiating myself with the Powers What Be, so we'll see.

I felt great about work yesterday. Several times I was sort of filled with strong feelings of "I love my job." There's a l to love. Well, let me put that another way... There's not a lot there. It's a simple dish overall, but it's one that I like. In part, perhaps, because there's not a lot there to not like. Mostly, it boils down to attitude. It's a very good sign, I think, that four weeks into it and I'm still liking it.

I sense that I get preferential treatment to some extent from the Guys in the Finishing Room. It's either me or this other guy whom they call on when they need to pull someone from the sanding table. And that's interesting. There's another new guy who has experience spraying, from working in an autobody shop. And he hasn't left the sanding table since he arrived on the scene. He's big, hairy, and has thick glasses. A kind of Schreck of a man. The other guy is this... this... boy. He's gorgeous. Glossy black hair, pale skin, beautiful soulful eyes. His is the kind of beauty that I think that men and women both notice. His beauty probably opens a lot of doors for him. It seems to be doing that in this case. I wonder if he realizes that? Probably not. He's just a kid. Right out of high school, going to the local community college.

How beautiful is he? How about this? I recognize his beauty, and he's totally not my type. Not to say I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to chain him up and piss on him if the opportunity arose, but no facial hair, no beer gut, no cigars. Just that allure.


No comments: