Thursday, November 20, 2003

Memo to cubby

You've got some work to do here. On my Wesco's. Y'see, I tried my other boots, but it's the Wesco's that feel good on my feet after standing in them for nine hours a day. I wish it were a pair with conventional laces (it takes two precious minutes in the morning to put my boots on), but it's not. It's the Wesco's.

They're not too much worse for the wear. But there's a few spatters of paint and stain, and a few places where I took care of paint and stain spatters with fine grain sandpaper. When I hit them with the air gun, they still come up looking beautiful, despite the spatters.

As you observed before, there is no shame in a leatherman wearing boots that reflect hard wear--crawling around padlocking chains in place, trekking through the mud, and now, good honest work. And I like the fact that my work boots are also a boot that is supremely fetishized.

Still, the next time I have the honor of receiving boot service, I'd hate to have the boy get the taste of varnish in his mouth. That couldn't be good. I know that taste. It's not boot leather.


No comments: