Wednesday, November 05, 2003

FinishSpace

Something interesting occurred to me at work this morning.

I was working at the sanding table. Yesterday, I was a little peeved at being sent to the sanding table. As a result, I wasn't focused. I didn't check my work before I put it back on the rack. I made a couple of mistakes. This morning, I again started off at the sanding table. I was determined not to repeat that. So it was all about Focus.

Get the piece from the rack. Thoroughly examine the piece before doing anything to it, making sure that there is no need for additional putty, no chipped edge to glue, nothing that would require it to be sent back to the fabricators. If every thing checks out, load up the oscillating sander with a sheet of 120 grain sandpaper. Then, sand all of the flat spaces, moving with the grain. Start with the back, then do the front. Then, put a fresh sheet of 180 grain sandpaper on the sanding block. First sand the back, then sand the sides. Imagine that the panel is a clock face. Start at the top (12 o'clock) and work clockwise (3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock). Then do the front with the block sander. Then, just using a piece of folded 120 grain sandpaper, sand all the bead work. Then, get rid of all the dust with the air gun. Then, examine your work in the light, making sure you haven't missed any scratches, and that the marks from your sanding go with the grain.

It takes a tremendous amount of concentration. So I sort of go into this trance like state. In a way, my subconscious takes over. My conscious mind just repeats little rules I've made up to myself ("make sure you have visual contact with where you're sanding").

So this morning it dawned on me. It's just like Topping in a scene! It's the same focus. I'm always surprised by the bell that anounces the 9:30 break, lunch at noon, and quitting time at 3:30. Where did the time go. It's just like in a scene. Half formed thoughts will guide me ("back up and give two loud cracks, then slowly move in; yes, there's the spot to hit; with an overhand throw"). It's not quite remote control, because of the focus. Every molecule in my body is vibrating in sync with what I'm doing. It's me and the man I'm whipping.

Just like at work. It's me, and the piece of wood I'm finishing.

Also at this point, I see the completed work sitting on the loading dock ready to go out.

Damn, it's beautiful.

And I can see my hand in it... I did that cabinet!.

So cool.


No comments: