Monday, April 14, 2003

April Spool

I want a spool. Y'know, one of those big wooden spools that cable is rolled up on.

Last night, coming back from Boston, I came through the Holland Tunnel, and took the last left, and right where you get dumped out onto Coles Street, in this seedy industrial area underneath the overpass where the Jersey Turnpike Extension dumps you out at the Holland Tunnel toll plaza, was the perfect spool.

Did I stop? You bet I did. Alas. It was too big to get into my jeep. Only by about three or four inches. Today I was in touch with my truck drivin' fellow GMSMA Board member and fellow Jersey Citite. But, he just signed over his truck to his sister.

So I'm stumped. How am I gonna get this spool down the street and up four flights of stairs?

Maybe you're wondering why I want a big wooden spool. Simple.

Step One: Get some foam rubber and cut it to cover the top of the spool.
Step Two: Upholster the top of the spool with black leather, or maybe cowhide, or even pleather for easy clean-up.
Step Three: Ring the perimeter of the spool with eye-bolts.
Step Four: Casters on the bottom of the spool.

...and look! It's a fabulous bondange table! Amenable to so many great positions. The height would be perfect. Absolutely perfect. And it could be tucked away in the corner next to the St. Andrew's Cross when not in use. So the only challenge is, how the hell do I get this thing home?


No comments: