Monday, April 14, 2003

Yo yo yo. Doin a shout out to my man Keckler. This one's 4 U, K-dawg, kinky Christian that you are.

Here's one I wrote. For Special Guy.

In the Jordan

Not much of a river;
Water slouching over rocks.
At first I took him for a
stranger, not kin, standing smiling on the bank.

I have my routine down now. I wade
Up to him, relieve him
Of his tunic. We face each other
Naked. He is smooth while I am hairy
Like a kid goat. Both of us are tall. We
Kiss. Like a lover I put my arm around
His waist, lead him out into the current.
I have my routine down now. When we're
Chest High I stand between him and
The sun. He squints. I can see him,
He sees only my silhouet.

I move my hands to his shoulders, broad
And firm, not those of some wizened rabbi or a wiry
Young Zealot. He relaxes
Imperceptibly. I strke, throwing him off
Balance. Under he goes. Strangely he doesn't
Squirm, no convulsions, no bouquet of bubbles
Rises. I keep him under and say a
Psalm. A good long while.

I relax. He resurfaces, gasping and glassy eyed. I pull him close, feel
the heft of him in my arms. God speaks.

God has spoken to me often.
"Go out to the wilderness, John."
"Eat the locusts if you're hungry."
"Put on those skins if you're cold."
"Show them they're drowning in the river of their sins."

But God calls him 'my son.' God says He is pleased.

He and I, we laugh as if we're drunk.
We are drunk with God. We kiss.
Laughing. The sunlight is God. The river is God. He is God
I am God. God is pleased. All is made new.


No comments: