Monday, April 28, 2003

Greetings from work!

I feel sort of giggly and I've-got-a-secret. During the apex of the dot-com economy in NYC, there was a terrific article in the New Yorker about a guy who walked into a dot-com and pretended to work there. He spent a few weeks just going and hanging out in the office, taking part in the free massages and moccachinos (moccachini?) and such. That's sort of how I feel. In the world, but not of the world. Pretending. Hee hee hee .

This last week of fulltime working is something of a doozie, too. Tomorrow morning I'm testifying at a City Council hearing and speaking at a press conference beforehand, then winding down the day with a union rally. Thursday is a Second Avenue Subway Task Force meeting, and then in the afternoon I'm meeting with a new police precinct commander. Busy busy busy.

I'm sort of nervous about making the "Ahem! Could we have a brief staff meeting?" I'm kinda nervous about it. When I made The Announcement at my last job, I pretty much knew what to expect. I haven't been here long enough to get to know these people really, although I like them, and so I can't really gauge what their reactions are going to be.

I doubt that Boss Sunshine has thought this through. Staffeena left the office last month to move to LA, and her replacement doesn't start until the end of May. Staffetta's last day was Thursday, as she went to do NYC area fundraising for a Presidential campaign. So that leaves Staffella, Staffila, and Staffano left holding down the fort. And, there's a lot going on right now. I asked Boss if he had someone in mind for my replacement, and he said he didn't. That is probably true. No one who knows him would come and work for him .

Tomorrow night I have my session with my therapist. Somehow I think that she is going to blow a gasket. Separation anxiety, maybe?


No comments: