Saturday, April 05, 2003

Inspiration

If I ever come to you and begin a flow of speech with "I was thinking in the shower this morning..." then pay attention. I know not why, but I do some of my best thinking there underneath the hot water.

Anyway, I was thinking about the scene I'm doing with Coyote at the dungeon demo. Here's what I'd like to do. I'm not sure if I'll do it today, but definitely at some point, I'd like to do a scene with Coyote and have it proceed as follows. Y'see, Coyote is a Christian. And so am I. So I want to do a role play. It's the First Century, and we're in Rome. (Are you thinking bedsheet togas? You're right!) I am Germanicus, in the serive of the Emperor Nero to mete out punishment to political criminals. Coyote is a Roman Citizen who has adopted the Christian faith. As such, he has renounced worship of the Emperor, the Father of Rome. (I have no idea if this is historically accurate; I've only read the second volume of Gibbons' 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.')

So I bind him to a cross, and flog him, and whip him, and spit on him, and slap him and punch him. Nearby is a glass of wine. All he has to do is spill a little of the wine, making an oblation to the Emperor and the gods of Rome. That's all. So simple. I think Coyote would like it, and I also think he's probably a total ham. He's a really heavy bottom, and prides himself on being able to take a lot. Lord knows how much he'd be able to take if his faith was brought into play.

But maybe not today. It sounds like perhaps a scene best done when it's just the two of us.

No. Today I'll keep it simple. Not chains, but rope. Flogging, clothespins, flogging, while he's bound to a pillar.


No comments: