Saturday, April 19, 2003

I saw an item on the news a while ago about a website where students can log on and rate their teachers. Years ago, I dated an English teacher at the school mentioned in the news story, and of course, my Ex from the 7 year realtionship is a teacher. So first chance I got, I pointed my browser in that direction.

Seven-year Ex was not listed. Apparently, www.ratemyteacher.com hasn't caught on with the students at his school. But the English Teacher had many, many ratings. Here's the synopsis: If you suck up to him, you're in; he doesn't explain things well; he spits when he talks, so sitting in the front row can be a real problem.

There was no mention of the fact that I consider to be the oddest: he's aging in reverse. I mean, really aging in reverse. Like, of the "made a pact with Satan and drink the blood of virgins" aging in reverse. After I hadn't seen him for a few years, I cruised him. And only recognized him after he noticed and approached. I got together with him for dinner, and an evening with the new, improved, self-assertive, self-confident, direct rather than passive aggressive me was enough to get him to leave me alone.

A few weeks ago, he sat behind Diabolique and I when we saw Les Troyens at the Met. I got a chance to observe him under good lighting in the lobby. What's different? No longer unkempt, wearing clothes he found at the Y ("It's a really nice shirt, I think!"). He now dyes not only his hair, but also his goatee. He's lost weight, and his body is toned and firm. All of which I support. So I guess I have nothing on him.

Except he really should do something about the spitting.


No comments: