Tuesday, April 22, 2003


Dang. I just did a search (not exhaustive) for my poems. I wrote most of them while I was in college and in the few years afterwards. I can't imagine where I squirreled them away. Here's one from memory. I'm pretty sure I have this accurately. Amazing how the words are just etched in my mind after all these years.

Demon Lovers

You were drunk when you told me of your demon lovers.
One was a smiling blond, who would surprise you sprawled on the rug, waiting and compliant.
The other, a long lashed fascist, who would issue commands simply for the pleasure
Of your obedience.

They would enter on the breeze as dandelion
Seeds, and ignite into fleshforms in the corner.

So we devised an exorcism. I sat by your bed while
You slept, and kept watch in your apartment while you were
Away.

After a few weeks I noted that we seemed to have
Succeeded, you told me you remembered an embrace: One arm crooked
Around the nape of your neck, forcing your face to his, you smelled the sulphurous stench of his breath; the
Other arm down the small of your back, his hand in your crotch giving the
Sensation of insects.

You stared silently into the middle distance, and then
Suggested that tomorrow, to celebrate the coming of Spring, we go
Shopping
Or something.


No comments: