Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Spool Update

Big disappointment here. Last night, I walked my dog (a long walk, he loved it) over to the Spool. (To recap, it's one of those big wooden things from which I hoped to construct a bondage table.) I brought a tape measure with me. Alas. The Spool is 46' in diameter and 33' high. The front door of my building is 31 1/2' wide. So, the Spool wouldn't fit in the door. Although I'm pretty good when it comes to basic carpentry--hammering, sawing, drilling, door-hanging and such--I don't know much when it comes to ensuring design integrity. In other words, I doubt I could build something that would be sturdy enough. But I'm still kind of thinking through things...

Here's what I'm thinking about. I wonder if I could get eight semi-circles of 2' thick plywood cut. Then, I could bolt the plywood together so that the bisecting cuts of each are intersecting to form right angles. Then, I'd have two good, study circular pieces of plywood. And I wonder if for a base, I could get some steel bars made. The square ones, of the kind usually used for burglar bars here in NYC. The bars would be in a pentagon, with one operating as a door. Then, I could cover the top with foam and upholster it, and not only would I have a great bondage platform, but I'd have a nice cage for underneath. And, the steel pentagon of bars should be enough to support several hundred pounds on top.

There's actually a metal shop that opened up right down the street from me. ("It's for... uh... it's for... an exotic pet that I'm planning on acquiring.")

Tonight, I meet with my accountant to go over my taxes. If I get anything like a refund, I think I'm gonna call around to ironmongeries and see what the damage would be.


No comments: