Wednesday, April 16, 2003

So this morning, I was attending a hearing concerning the Kaltech explosion a year ago at a sign making plant in Chelsea. The hearing was held on the campus of the Fashion Institute of Technology. So I'm walking down 27th Street, and there's this FIT student boy. He looks at me, I look at him, I smile, and he drops the book he was holding in his hand.

He dropped his book.

So I must be lookin pretty good, huh?

Which is weird for me. Like our current president, I've always been pretty much a C student. No great shakes. When men whom I consider to be hot take an interest in me, I'm always sort of suspicious. As in, "He's way out of my league. What gives? What's he after?"

So if I am improving in the looks department, I wonder if that will ever translate into increased self-confidence. I wonder if cruising will possibly no longer be about me standing there with "notice me notice me notice me notice me notice me" running through my head, and manifest itself as me walking up and saying, "Hey there, Boss. Nice back. Can I buy you a beer?" What would it take to get me over that hump? Practice, I suppose. You do it enough, and you realize that the chances that someone is going to say "Scram, kid, yer bodderin me" or laugh outloud are pretty slim as to make the sally a pretty safe one.


No comments: