Sunday, December 28, 2003

Gimme an M...

*sigh*

It seems that in certain circles in GMSMA, my name is now mud. A few weeks ago (careful readers of Singletails will remember), I had a long phone conversation with the President, on the issue of whether I would be able to step up to the plate as Chairman. This came just as I was finishing up welding school, which had prevented me from attending Board of Directors meetings and Program meetings. With the end of welding school, I was planning on driving up to NYC on the second, third, and fourth wednesdays of each month. Then came the announcement at work that during the month of December, because of the break, we were required to work from 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This rescheduling made the wednesday night trips impossible. If I was to stay more than twenty minutes or so. I took it as a sigh; as the Universe letting me know that I would be taking on too much, and discretion being the better part of valour, it would be best if I hung up my hat. Or, "cover," as the case may be.

This decision has apparently brought about some scapegoating. Not unexpected. Membership is down, and attendance at events is down. And I know from experience in other organizations that it hurts like hell (and not in a good way) when you're pouring your heart and enthusiasm into something and not getting much in the way of return on your investment. And you want to lay blame.

I, for one, bear no ill will. Dese are da circumstances what prevails. Hopefully any acrimony will be buried beneath the sands of time in the not too distant future.


No comments: