Tuesday, December 02, 2003

's'No Fun

This morning, when I headed out to walk Faithful Companion before heading off to work, I was charmed and delighted to see that we had had the first snowfall of the season. There was a thin layer of powder on the ground. It looked beautiful in the early dawn light.

And then, I got in my car and headed out to work. It takes fifteen minutes for me to get there, and by my watch, I had fourteen (Faithful Companion had to take a dump and took his time doing it). I'd have to make up some time.

I turned out of the driveway and headed down Tollgate Road. Right before Tollgate Road crosses the Point Pleasant Pike, there's a fairly steep hill. I hit the brakes. And even though my tires were not moving, the jeep was. I had absolutely no traction whatsoever. I went right into the ditch.

Damn.

Luckily, I was able to get myself out of the ditch. And luckily, I was facing in the opposite direction, with the hill behind me. With the newfound knowledge that I had no traction, I inched my way to work. My average speed was ten m.p.h.

It turned out that it had rained, and this had frozen. On top of this sheet of ice fell a powdery late-Autumn snow. I passed two accidents on my way to work. Because this was a big surprise to everyone, there were no salt trucks out.

Interestingly, it didn't snow in Doylestown. The last 4 miles of the trip, I was doing my usual seven miles per hour over the speed limit. I got to work 20 minutes late. (Hate that! I think I jinxed myself with that posting last week.)

Had an interesting day. I went out on a delivery to Princeton, New Jersey. The driver guy is pretty odd. I'm trying to remember the name of the character from Li'l Abner who always had the rain cloud over his head. That was Driver Guy.

To unload the cabinets, Driver Guy lent me a pair of gloves. As we unloaded, I was sort of shocked to get whiffs of cat piss. The customers had a cat, but they seemed a little bit better put together than that. And then, I went to scratch my nose.

You guessed it. I was wearing gloves that wreaked of cat piss.

Oh. My. God.

Maybe it's all in my head, but despite washing my hands about eight times, I still am getting whiffs of cat piss.

Criminy.


No comments: