Tuesday, February 10, 2004

An Army of Lovers

Still flying in the wake of last night's realization concerning those Sirs of mine, the support that's there for me and all I need to do is be open to it.

And I realized something else at the sanding table at work today. I've got boys to think about. Not... y'know... formally. I'm not lucky enough to have a boy wearing my collar. But still, they're out there. Some I've played with, some I've only met, some are disembodied denizens of the internet. Regardless, boys are boys. And I'm a Sir. And so there's a responsibility there. To guide, to give my time to, to listen to, to offer a new perspective to when I have one. After all, it's what a Sir does.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were something like Friendster to track all of this? For the uninitiated, Friendster is an internet phenomenon. You sign in, and then look up your friends who have also signed in, and register them. The thing that has made Friendster take off is that it's searchable. Let's say you're interested in meeting a certain celebrity. We'll pick... ohIdaknow... Vin Diesel. So say I'm on Friendster, and I decide to figure out if I know anyone who is friends with Vin. I enter Vin's name, and voila! Friendster can tell me how many degrees of separation there are between me and Vin. And I will learn that if cubby used to hang with Vin back in the days and every time he's in town he looks her up and they get together for lunch to catch up. Thus, only a carefully worded email--probably starting out "oh by the way" or something--stands between me and getting to whip... I mean meet Vin Diesel.

(Nota Bene: I wish. As far as I know, neither cubby nor anyone else I know is chummy with the Vinster.)

Anyway, how cool would it be, listing my Sirs and boys, and all the other Sirs and boys out there listing theirs. Then, we'd have a snapshot of a worldwide network of collars and leashes.

Regardless, it's out there. All of those connections. All of those men, and women, looking out for one another, relying on one another, getting a smile and a twinkle in the eye when thoughts of one another flit through the mind.

This is such an important thing, no?

So much love in the world.


No comments: