Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Five Year Plan Revised

Remember my Five Year Plan? House, minimally furnished, let-the-materials-speak-for-themselves design? Water? Dogs? Rural? Within two hours of a major airport? Lots of room for guests? Woodshop and metal shop? Dungeon?

Well, my household idea has really stirred me.

I've worked out a tentative budget and financial plan. If I found five compatible guys, I could make it work. Including the build out. With five other men sharing the responsibilities, it would run fairly smoothely.

I spent a summer living in a Benedictine monastery in St. Louis, Missouri when I was in college. Monks, like leathermen, tend to have strong personalities, too. I was struck then and now by the balances that were struck. Together and alone, silence and communication, work and prayer.

I once heard that when looking at a potential new apartment, you should visualize yourself going through the routine of your day there. If it works, then it will work.

I have no problem at all imagining myself going through the routines of my day at the household.

Maybe a pipe dream, but I wonder.


No comments: