Wednesday, January 08, 2003

I had a horrific day. I'm wondering what the highest bridge with pedestrian access in the city might be. Just horrendous. Once again, I was subjected to that screaming piece-of-shit, my Boss. And look at the time, ten-and-a-half hours before I go back for a second helping. Welll, probably longer, as the fat idiot usually doesn't drag show up at the office before two p.m. If he doesn't have one of his four psychotherapy appointments per week, a hair salon appointment, or some hypochondria-driven doctor's appointment.

Thank God I went to GMSMA. It was a great program. It involved a slide show, so the room was too dark for me to do Treasurer's drudgery. And, I was oh-so-pleasantly surprised when I felt something odd under the table where I was sitting, and there was one of the hottest boys I've had the pleasure to have known licking my boots. He looked up and smiled, and I said, "Did I say you could stop?" So he continued whilst I penned checks. Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you. I can't tell you how much I needed that then.

Anyway, here's the big news. I decided. I'm leaving New York. Probably, I'm moving to Fort Lauderdale. That would be easiest. Probably in June. That's the month I moved to New York, thirteen years ago. So it seems fitting. Also, leaving before I'm done with my Treasurer duties would leave GMSMA in the lurch, and I did, in fact, raise my hand and volunteer to take on this mishigass. June will give me time to get my house in order here in New York. And, possibly, put out feelers for a job down there. I'm not 100% sold on Fort Lauderdale. But, since I already own a condo down there, it would seem to be the logical choice. Southern California is attractive as well, but I think it wouldn't make much sense to live there and have a getaway condo in Fort Lauderdale. Other than the fact that you can swim in the ocean on the Atlantic Coast, they are both of a piece. Although one has earthquakes and one has hurricanes.

My therapist will be pissed. She has lived here all her life, and whenever I mention having a good time in wherever I've been in my travels, she says in so many words, or gives me a pointed look so as to communicate, "What a hole." She's got it bad.

I think I'm pretty firm in my commitment, in that I'm sort of missing the place already. But I just feel there isn't any other alternative. Any that I like, anyway. If I found another job, it would still mean that I'd be living here.

What will I do with all my winter clothes? My buddy Woodsy gave away something like eight leather jackets when he moved down there. It never gets so cold that it makes sense to wear them.

I feel soooo much better having come to this decision. My Dad will hate the idea. Just hate it. But, I believe there are planes that fly between Fort Lauderdale and Philadelphia. So I might be able to see him once in a while, as long as mankind continues to take to the air. I can't really think of anything I'm giving up.

Oh. Yes I can. My grandfather's desk. Dig. It's a beautiful little secretary. It used to be stained this dark mahogany. (It's not mahogany, it's probably pine. My grandparents didn't have a lot of money.) But my Ex had the idea of painting it. Sort of multi-colored, to look like a circus wagon or something. The effect is really wonderful. Anyway, the predominant color in the condo will be orange. And the desk is about three shades of orange. So I think it might be a little much. Oooooh... I can't wait to get rid of 60% of everything I own in preparation for the move down there. If anyone is in the market for down comfortors, winter coats (I take a 44 long) and the like, y'all let me know.

----------------------------------------

No comments: