Friday, January 24, 2003

Mr. Smith Builds His Dream Dungeon

Yessss!!! I got home from work, and wondered if perhaps I couldn't take care of my trip to K-Mart to buy plastic storage boxes tonight rather than tomorrow morning. I found a Jersey City store, called and found they were open till 10 p.m., and headed up Grand to Communipaw, Communipaw to 440, and thence to K-Mart. They had the storage boxes. Tragically, they only had white lids. Perhaps more appropriate for storing knitting supplies than duct tape and chanins, but so be it. But--and this is the really good part--what did I pass on my way to K-Mart but the Mecca of Kink, Home Depot! Oh yeah. I hadn't even thought about what I wanted from Home Depot, no list or anything, so I just sort of wandered in. I bought a nice heavy duty drop cloth (silver), some lengths of chain (4 feet, four feet, six feet, and eight feet, some false links, 100 feet of camo rope, two fifty foot rolls of hemp rope, and the eyebolts I'll need to secure my St. Andrew's Cross to the wall.
T
On the way home, I stopped at the Jersey City IHOP on Rte. 440. That proved interesting. First off, half the people in the place were homos. Apparently, there's something going on at IHOP that I was unaware of. Secondly, everyone--my waitress, the host, the other waiters and waitresses, the other IHOP diners--everyone was so pleasant and courteous and friendly. Not in a creepy Stepford Wives kind of way, or even that friendly-stupid kind of way. Just really pleasant and smiling. There were two women and a little boy in the booth next to mine. The little boy and I had a real thing going. He is gonna be a stunner when he grows up. He had eyelashes about an inch-and-a-half long. I debated giving him my card and saying, "Here kid, call me in fifteen years."

Now, I walk the dog, make a cup of tea, put on some music, and plunge into the world of Better Homes & Dungeons.

Oh, here's an interesting thing. This LA Guy that I met at Inferno and have gotten chummy with since has a book he's written on... How to design your in-home play space. Perhaps this whole little tear I'm on is the result of some kind of inspiration osmosis. We didn't talk about that at MAL, but since I've gotten back, it's been something of a preoccupation.

Anyway, my boy needs a trip around the block.

---------------------------------------

No comments: