Friday, May 09, 2003

I have blogged my last from the office of Boss Sunshine. Very bittersweet. Now that I'm not working for him anymore, I feel nothing but warmth. I know. I'm crazy in da head.

An interesting moment before I headed out the door. He leaned his head on my shoulder and said, "I should resign. I should just resign. I should go and live in the country and write a novel. I'm tired of taking care of all the problems of the world. I want someone to take care of me." He was joking, of course. But, then again, he wasn't at all, was he?

Being Boss Sunshine's Chief-of-Staff was such the losing proposition. He wanted me to make him feel the way he used to feel, but the way he (mostly) doesn't feel any more. I didn't do that. How could I? And that made him frustrated and angry.

I wish I knew what to say to him. Maybe I'll suggest career counseling. Maybe he should resign, and take a year off, and think through things, living in the country. The problem is, that if he should decide to continue in elected office, getting back into the job market would not be as easy as sending out resumes. He'd have to wait for a winnable office to open up and run for it.

I think he should just call it quits and go and work at a retreat center in the Catskills. Or something.

He's a good man, and he doesn't deserve to be unhappy. And I think he's pretty unhappy.


No comments: