Thursday, May 22, 2003

Sing Ho! For the romance of the Open Road!

So I'm off. Not the early start I had hoped for, but the Baron and I were up until 4 am talking, packing, and counting quarters. Now I'm getting on the road. I-80 Westbound.

What all will I be doing to pass time on this long ride?

  • Singing along to Lucinda Williams, U2, the Pet Shop Boys, Bruce Springsteen, The Chrystal Method, Limp Bizkit, and the like;
  • Calling everybody whose number I have stored on my cell phone;
  • Stopping every time that the signs on the highway indicate that the next rest stop is blessed with the presence of Almight Starbucks;
  • Letting my thoughts wander into the realms of the Sublime and the Sordid;
  • "Flirting" (i.e., tailgating, speeding so that I'm right next to, smiling and waving) with every man driving either a Jeep or one of those Big Butch Pickups;
  • Reading maps while I'm driving;
  • Crying;
  • Lauging;
  • Pretending I'm giving a lecture or a sermon and talking out loud and emphatically on some issue or other in order to clarify my thinking on it:
  • Smoking;
  • Going fifteen miles over the speed limit mostly;
  • Getting overly slow and cautious if I run into rain (rain-slicked roads make me really nervous; I'd rather drive in the snow than the rain);
  • Trying to find the NPR affiliate stations on the radio;
  • Stopping to enjoy those delectable delicacies known as Turnpike Food;
  • Rolling up the windows so I can have a good scream.

More later.


No comments: