Wednesday, April 28, 2004

No Cockel Shells. No Silver Bells.

But a damn nice garden nonetheless!

Finally I got those plants I bought a few weeks ago in the ground. Bleeding hearts, phlox, day lilies, nightshade, and a few other part-sun, deer-resistant annuals. But that's not all! Y'see, I had some misgivings. It was the plan to put them in a garden I dug in the middle of the lawn, in front of the screened in porch. But it had no focal point. I wanted something to plant around. I thought about a tree or shrub, but it's already shaded enough.

So on my way home from work today, I was inspired. I stopped at this humongous garden center, and found what I was looking for: a few sandstone pavers and a bird bath. I made... not quite a path, but rather the suggestion of a path with the pavers. Then, with the two nicest, I built a dolmen. And planted the birdbath there amongst them. It looks really great. When I called my father out to take a look, he got a little bit choked up.

That made it worth the hour of toil in the mud.

Now I just have to cover it with some peat moss, and maybe some mulch, and when the annuals are out, I'll fill in with coleus, impatiens, and whatever else catches my eye.

I'm so pleased.


No comments: