Monday, April 12, 2004

Straight Guy Love Crush

It happens!

Straight guys get crushes on each other all the time!

I know, because I see it a lot with the straight guys with work. And I totally get what it's all about. It's not about 'I wanna pound that fucker right into the mattress.' It's more along the lines of, 'he is so cool I wanna hang with him.'

Y'know. A sort of sublimated pounding into the mattress. Often involving watching sports. Or going fishing. Or whatever.

Now sure, it could be argued that what these guys really want to do is the mattress pounding. But maybe not. Maybe it really is all about the intimacy and the bonding, the closeness and the connection. Deeper than just getting your rocks off.

And, I think that Nightingale has a Straight Guy Love Crush on yours truly. He's keeping me posted on his weight loss efforts, even though I continue to tease him about how he's wasting away to nothing. He's hit a plateau, and he started doing some weight lifting at home. I offered to take him to my gym some time after work, show him what I know about stretching and lifting.

(My heart flutters like a wee little bird thinking about enjoying a sauna after a workout with Nightingale.)

Spurred on by that offer, which was well received, Nightingale confided in me. Things are rough for him at home lately. His wife is saying 'okay, I've raised my kids, now I want to have some fun.' And unfortunately, her idea of 'fun' seems to be racking up DWI arrests. Two, to be exact. And the second one came before she could even go to court over the first one. She's angry, depressed, and seems to be forgetting that at thirteen, their son is not quite 'raised.'

So Nightingale is saying things like, 'I just about walked out,' and 'if she doesn't stop being so stupid I'm outta there.'

Did my creative imagination fly to a post-divorce Nightingale and I setting up house together? Is the Pope homophobic?

Because I have my own sweet crush on Nightingale, as even the most casual peruser of these pages will know.

And yeah, there's definitely some mattress pounding mixed in with that crush. But not just that. I also think he's cool and wanna hang with him.

He's such a cool guy. He knows a hell of a lot about cabinet making. He works hard. He's a smart man. He gets things done. He likes good wine and good cigars. He takes special delight in his relationship with his son. He's a cancer survivor. He's looked death in the face.

Yup. There's a lot to like about Nightingale.

He mentioned today that he ran across his high school yearbook. And that he looked up my picture.

Did I look familiar? Remember that tall skinny kid looking at you with longing and hunger as you made your way to Trigonometry? He thought you were pretty hot stuff then.

And he still does.


No comments: