Wednesday, February 05, 2003

And how is your work day going?

I am on the horns of a dilemma. I was out sick yesterday. Apparently, Boss Sunshine was purely psychotic, brutal to everyone on staff. B.S. requested a staff meeting, and the plan was made among staff to do something along the lines of an intervention at the staff meeting, letting him know that his behavior was unacceptable, and that everyone is prepared to walk. So, today, Boss Sunshine called from home (seven blocks away), all sweetness and light, and asked if anyone needed him for anything. He also said that he wouldn't be coming in today, so the staff meeting would be canceled.

So here's what I'm contemplating. I go over there, solo, perhaps on the pretext of bringing him some letters to sign, perhaps without a pretext. And I sit him down and tell him that his behavior is profoundly disturbing, that the staff--who are smart and dedicated and work really hard--have absolutely had it, and that I think he should seek help. B.S. is in recovery. Lots of recovery. The laundry list of programs and rooms. I was lamenting my work situation to a friend of mine from college who is a psychotherapist with a practice in alcohol and drug abuse counseling. My friend commented that Boss Sunshine's actions don't speak of recovery, they indicate a little boy who has had all of his toys taken away from him, and is now frustrated and angry that he has nowhere to go with his anxiety and fear. There are spiritual aspects to the program, and if one doesn't take advantage of these, one is basically just undergoing a miserable and dangerous exercise in self-denial through will power. I would tell Boss Sunshine that he is not the man I knew when I worked for him seven years ago, and that he has changed profoundly. He is unrecognizable in fact.

Now, it's not like I don't have the guts to go through with this, I absolutely do. Even though I have no idea what I'm talking about with the whole recovery thing. But here's the thing. I'm furious with Boss Sunshine. News of his demise would have me popping open champagne bottles. I feel betrayed by him. I want to see him hurt, and to see his career go down in flames. I would want to start off any discussion along these lines with something like, "I'm here because I care about you," but I don't know if I could say that. With a straight face anyway. And, what are the chances that it would make anything any better at all? Vanishingly small.

So that's what I'm mulling.

Say a prayer, dear Reader.

No comments: