Saturday, February 01, 2003

Further on the Space Shuttle

I thought that the President's remarks were wonderful. Say what you want about him, he is a decent man.

When I was listening to an NPR interview with a guy who was, I believe, sitting in a diner in Naccadoches, Texas when debris came down, I was reminded of a song by Lucinda Williams called 'Lake Charles.' A snatch of the song goes, "He was born in Naccadoches. That's in East Texas, not far from the border. He would tell everybody, that he was from Lake Charles."

And then I remember the refrain of the song, which remembers the man from Naccadoches who told everyone he was from Lake Charles, and who apparently died in a car crash...

"Did an angel whisper in your ear?
And hold you close, and take away your fear?
In those long last moments."

I think that's fitting.

-------------------------

No comments: