Thursday, February 06, 2003

I'm a Joiner

Tonight after work, I went to a Leather Pride Night organizing committee, representing GMSMA, and then I went to a GMSMA organizing committee for Folsom Street East. Maybe it was the effects of the coffee and the chocolate covered Graham crackers I had at the outset of this round of meetings, but back to back meetings put me in such a good mood. There's something that I find so enriching about working with a diverse collection of personalities on a voluntary basis as part of a group. It's sort of irreducible. It's not just that I feel as though I'm 'on the team,' and it's not just the regard that's extended to you if you're willing to take on responsibility, and it's not just meeting new people. I just get to feeling good about the whole deal.

I once lamented the fact that that college provide a great opportunity to make friends, the likes of which I'm not likely to see again. And to some extent that's true. But, I've made some wonderful friends, both through being involved with ACT UP and the Anti-Violence Project a decade ago, and through GMSMA now.

-----------------------------

No comments: