Thursday, February 20, 2003

My iPod is back in working order. A few weeks ago, I stopped into a pizza parlor, and so I could talk to the guy behind the counter, I hit the pause button. Got my pizza and paid for it, but when I hit the play button, nothing happened. I mean nothing. Nothing came up on the screen. Done. I figured it was a dead battery. Alas, when I plugged it in to charge at home, the screen was still blank. Yesterday I took it to TechServe, where I bought it. The ticket woman said, "Ooooh. We don't service iPods, you have to deal directly with Apple." I must have looked crushed because she said, "Did you do a hard reset?" I have no idea what that might be, and she showed me, and whaddyaknow, a 'Battery is Low' message came up on the screen. Plugged it in to charge last night, and I'm good to go this morning. I had to stop my reading of my web design book when the 10,000 Maniacs' Stockton Gala Days came on. Right after this, as my PATH train pulled into 33rd Street, I was listening to Marcello's Oboe Concerto in D Minor. It's one of my favorite pieces. I came to love it when I was in college, listening to it the first time while snow fall outside the window of my dorm. It figured prominently in the soundtrack of 'The House of Mirth.' So all of a sudden, there I am, a tragic heroine, fated to die in a garret of consumption.

*sigh*

I love music.

"That summer fields grew high
With foxgloves, lovelace, and ivy.
Wild apple blossoms everywhere.
Emerald green like none I have seen
Out of those dreams that escape me...
There was no girl boy as warm as you.

"How I've learned to please,
To doubt myself in need.
You'll never... you'll never know."



No comments: