Friday, February 21, 2003

I'm debating going up to the Guggenheim to see the Matthew Barney show tomorrow. I really really really want to see the show, but on the downside, it will be packed beyond capacity on the first Saturday that it's open. Eh. I don't know that I mind crowds all that much.

Why didn't I think of that???!! Here's a way cool trend in francophobia. Sign me up for liberty dressing, liberty doors, liberty twists, and ample amounts of liberty kissing!

The Second Avenue Subway tour was no great shakes. I arrived late, so they were out of hardhats even. The completed section up in East Harlem/Lenox Hill is basically a standard subway tunnel, but without tracks or dirt. The only amusing part of the venture was getting an up-close and personal look at a certain kooky congresswoman. At one point she proposed that the project be financed by selling the air rights above the tunnel, apparently forgetting that 'above the tunnel' already has a use and purpose: it's called Second Avenue and probably wouldn't be ideal for either residential or commercial development since it's a major thoroughfare. And then, after a little presentation on the plans, we were free to sort of walk the length of the tunnel going south. That unmistakable voice sang out, "Now does this go all the way downtown? How far am I going to be walking?" As though our intrepid band would be emerging shortly from a manhole and find ourselves at the South Street Seaport. Is Doris Day still alive? Doris Day should play her in the movie.

Huh.

I was about to type 'And so it goes" by way of signing off for now. "And so it goes" was, of course, the signature sign-off of Linda Ellerbe, when she used to anchor of some late night news show during the Eighties. She was amazing. So wry and ascerbic, and her reportage was brilliant. At any minute, you were sure she was going to look at the camera and deliver a deadpan "Un. Fuckin. Believable. Huh?" I'm pretty much in awe of Linda Ellerbe. Signing off my blog and using the words of Il Miglior Fabbro (bet you can't catch that allusion!) seems sacriligious.

And the beat goes on.


No comments: