Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Huh.

The radio is reporting that James Davis, a member of the City Council from Brooklyn, was shot to death earlier today at the Stated Council meeting in City Hall. Davis was pretty active in the neighborhood I lived in when I was a Brooklyn resident. He was something of a nutjob. He organized this neighborhood march against violence that seemed designed to do little else besides promote James Davis, but at the same time he was a regular challenger to candidates favored by the Brooklyn Democratic machine. For that, I liked him, and if memory serves, I voted for him one year. Not the brightest bulb in the great neon sign of life, he proposed a bill that would have required that all tall buildings in New York City be outfitted with enough parachutes to get everyone in the building to the ground safely in the wake of September 11th. But overall he was rather harmless.

I was very worried when I first heard the reports about members of the Council and staff that I know and love. So far it seems that Davis was the only one hit. There was one other man who was shot, but as of this writing the reports that I'm hearing indicate that the other victim was, in fact, the shooter. Hope everyone else really is okay. That must be such the huge deal for the Council. Nothing remotely like that ever occured when I worked for the Council. It was always my thinking that nothing like that ever would happen as the Council was sort of a joke. But I guess I was wrong.


No comments: