Thursday, July 10, 2003

What this country needs is a good ten cent cigar!

Heretofore, cigars never worked for me. I would go into a cigar place, look for something likely, and buy a few macanudo something or other. I just didn't enjoy it. It's long been my plan to eventually switch from cigarettes to cigars. (Great drug; bad drug delivery system.)

Then, a few weeks ago, I had that meaningful cigar on the porch with my Dad. And I enjoyed that cigar, not only because of the context, but because of the cigar itself. This past weekend, while driving back from the party in Pennsylvania, I stopped off at a general store kinda place (okay, general store on the outside, mini-mart on the inside, but if you think about it, it's the same thing) to pick up road food. And they had a selection of cigars. We're not talking about macanudos. We're talking White Owl. And it dawned on me. My Dad probably doesn't spend a lot of money on cigars. I've sampled several pricey cigars (the last one I bought cost $7), but not cheap cigars. So I bought a pack of Dutch Masters Corona De Luxe with the "Natural Connecticut Wrapper." There's one left. And I'm saving it. In the mean time, I stopped into a place called the Tobacco Shack and bought some other variety of cheap cigars. I smoked three of them today.

I think I'm onto something here. No doubt cigar snobs (and you know who you are) will be shuddering to read this, deleting my phillistine blog from their Favorites list. But the path seems clear. It's cheap cigars for me.


No comments: