Saturday, July 26, 2003

Shock and Disbelief

I just opened email that Diabolique had thoughtfully forwarded to me.

Suessesschwein, whose name was Mark, passed away at his home on Wednesday morning. Mark was my host during my weekend in Chicago during IML. He was a brilliant, wonderful, kind, amazing man, and I am really rocked to hear this news. When I last heard from him, he was preparing for his annual pilgrimage of sorts up to a lake in the Canadian wilderness over the Summer Solstice. I wished him the best for the trip, and he sent a short note to say how busy he was getting ready for it all.

Mark is the reason that I'm mortgaging the farm and doing both Sessions A and B at Inferno this year. Before I left Chicago, he and I had lunch together in the hotel. Both of us were full of regret that we hadn't had the opportunity to play while I was in town, but we agreed that we'd definitely correct that at Inferno. We had a great connection. We were enraptured with one another. I told him that I was planning on just doing Set-Up and Session A. His face fell. he told me that he did Session B, and asked if there was any way that I could switch. I told him that come hell or high water, whatever it took, I would be there for Session B.

Oh. Damn. This hurts.

Not Mark. No no no no no. I hope against hoping that there's been some terrible mistake, but I doubt that's possible.

He should have died hereafter. We are all diminished with the spirit of this wonderful man now taken from us.

By way of thanks for letting me stay in his apartment, I wrote Mark a poem. I didn't post it here, as it was just for him. I'm going to see if I can find it after softball this afternoon when I get back from softball and post it here.

And now, I've got to get ready for the game. But first, I think I'm going to have a good cry.

Please say a prayer for Mark Collier. Mark's partner of many years died last summer, and Inferno last Semptember for Mark was a way of saying goodbye and moving forward. In Mark's apartment was memorial of sorts to the deceased love of his life. The inscription read, 'Tusk to Tusk, For All Eternity.'

Tusk to Tusk. For All Eternity.

Close your eyes and sleep, you wonderful man.


No comments: