Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Adieu, Sanding Table

Today, the VP took me aside. He said he intends to switch me over from the sanding table to the panel saw. As I've only been sanding for seven months, this is lightening speed for the place. Usually, you work at a station for a year.

This is a big step up. The panel saw is one of the largest, most heavily used, and most expensive pieces of equipment in the shop. And, a big part of the job will be selecting plywood. I'll need to learn all the species of wood, judge the quality of the wood, and (I love this part) make aesthetic judgments about which piece of plywood will make the most beautiful cabinets.

Now, promises from management are written in sand. Lord only knows when and if this will go down. But we'll see. If nothing else, it indicates that I'm thought highly of there.


No comments: