Sunday, May 23, 2004

I, Bootblack...

Cubby J. Sherwood writes: "You do realize, don't you, Sir, that I'd be honored and delighted to teach you how to bootblack, right? There are MANY many different ways to do it... and I'm pretty set in my ways about how I do it but ... well... you've seen the results. :--)"

And I reply...

Yeah, I kinda knew that I had the privilege of the service of one of the best bootblacks that there is . I have to admit, my first thought--the Top in me, I guess--was to secure the services of a bootblack for Big. But then I thought that maybe I ought to be able to fulfill that myself.

I gotta admit, I'm a little daunted. Bootblacking seems way too complicated. I mean, is there really that much to know? Would it be so bad if I worked Big's boots with saddlesoap and Kiwi black and called it a day?

What I did not here at the bootblacking workshop was permission. As in, "Yeah, so get a rag and a brush and some polish and go to town! Don't worry about ruining a pair of boots, cause that's unlikely." That's pretty much how I approached chain bondage workshop I did. Go have fun, folks!

It's not like down the road I'm not gonna become an unredeemable Product Whore. (You should see the counter in the bathroom, a virtual forest of Kiehl's emoluments and astringents.) (Oops... Did I just lose Butch Points? Well, it takes a tough man to stick to a strict moisturizing protocol, Buddy!) But let that come in time.

Months ago, you mentioned to me that the 'problem solving' aspects of wood finishing that I was finding so rewarding were akin to what you liked about bootblacking. And I can see how that would be the case.

But aw heck. Right now, I don't want to spend years learning the craft. I have no aspirations of competing for a bootblack title at IML. All I want is to spend an hour sitting in front of the window of Big's place in SF, watching the fog roll in off the bay before we head out to dinner, working on Big's boots while he smokes a cigar and idly caresses the nape of my neck. And then, when we're ready to head out, Big puts on his boots, admires them, and says, "Nice work, boy." Is that unreasonable?

*sigh*

I've got a couple o' questions though.

Oil tanned and... uh... not oil tanned. How do you tell? (One is glossy--like my Harley MC riding boots) and one isn't--like my Wescos and Dehners, right?)

And, you don't put polish on oil tanned boots, correct? What exactly do you do with them? That Huberd's stuff? (FYI, the boots I've seen Big wear are a pair of jump boots, and they're definitely polished.)

And speaking of Big's jump boots, I own (courtesy of whippingboy), one can of Kiwi Parade Gloss, two containers of Kiwi Classic Instant Wax polish, one horsehair brush, one applicator rag, one cotton shining rag. Will that be enough for the hour mentioned above?

Thanks, Cubby.


No comments: