Tuesday, May 25, 2004

DDC

Whilst Ms. Time and Motion was hovering about with her stopwatch, I had something of a flash of inspiration.

I was thinking about this cabinetry thing. In a couple of years, I should have a pretty good grasp of fine woodworking if my employer lives up to their part of the bargain. And I should be pretty adept at welding. And I have a flair for design.

Hmmm... there ought to be a good job in their somewhere, right?

How about... ...designing and building dungeons?

Nutty idea?

Maybe not.

The place I work primarily does kitchens. It's kind of kept from us how much clients pay for the kitchens we build, but it's common knowledge that we're talking tens of thousands of dollars. And many of these people have never had to pour themselves a glass of water little less make dinner seven nights a week. So given the importance of the dungeon in the lives of so many of the folks that I know...

Yeah, I know. One of the reasons people shell out so much for high end kitchens is that it significantly increases the value of their real estate. 'Chef's kitchens' are huge right now.

But still, I bet I could do a bang up job for about $5,000. Most of the materials I'd want to use--diamond plate, no-slip rubber flooring, industrial lighting fixtures, steel structures, custom storage for all the gear, cells and crosses and cages--are pretty reasonable. And, y'know, upwards from there. And possibly a little downwards.

That would be so cool! I'd get to travel, I'd get to meet some major SM players. I'd get to help people create their dream dungeons, spaces where spirit and flesh are wed, where fantasy and reality meet and kiss.

After all, the dungeon makes the man! And I'm the guy to make the dungeon that makes the man.


No comments: