Thursday, March 11, 2004

Aftermath

So today at work, I was working at the sanding table. Under the cover of the whine of the orbital sanders, I was singing to myself. Today, I happened to be singing Blondie songs. Love Debbie Harry.

I sang 'French Kissing in the USA,' and 'Heart of Glass,' and then I was singing 'The Tide is High.'

'The Tide is High' was used in the opening sequence of the movie 'Longtime Companion.' And suddenly, I thought of the closing sequence. Manipulative, to be sure, but always deeply affecting. To me anyway. It's the scene when they're out in the Pines, and up the stairs, just in time for tea, come all the guys who have died.

I don't believe in heaven, but if I'm wrong, I hope it's like that or I don't give a tinker's dam where I end up.

I suddenly thought of my sister. What I wouldn't give to have a day with her. At the beach, say. Or down on the wing dam in Lumberville. Or at the Sheepee. Or cooking with her.

So there I was, sanding a piece of crown molding, tearing up and sobbing.

Luckily, none of my co-workers noticed that I was crying.

That would've been harder to explain than a black eye.

So here I am, again, in touch with my feelings.

Thanks, PunchPig. I can't quite connect the dots, but I think it has something to do with the events of last night.


No comments: