Friday, March 05, 2004

Freedom from Financial Insecurity

It's almost too good to be true. It looks like I can get out from under. When I cashed my paycheck today, visited with a financial advisor. I explained to her the pickle I was in (unreasonable car payments, mounting credit card debt as I can barely pay the minimum, working at a job that doesn't pay my bills... the whole tale of woe). And... she had a suggestion.

Y'see, my name and my brother's name are on the deed to my father's house. Thus, I would be eligible for a Home Equity Line of Credit. This credit line, at about a 4% interest rate, would allow me to buy my car, pay off all of my debts, and live a comfortable, though not extravagant, life on the salary I'm making from the job I love.

So, tomorrow morning, I'm gonna see about carting my father off to the bank to get it all taken care of.

It's like a financial clean slate. Starting over. Another chance. The light at the end of the tunnel. The ray of sunshine after the storm.

Now I can relax and get seven good nights sleep a night. In a year or so, I might even be able to think about getting my own apartment up here, rather than living here with my father.

But I'm getting way way way ahead of things.

And, I won't feel like such a failure. So crash and burn. Believe you me, it is way demoralizing to arrive home from a hard day's work and receive from your father the list of creditors who called every blessed day of the week. That is not bolstering to one's self esteem. I'm almost forty years old. I've been a home owner. This shouldn't be my life. And, if all goes well, within a matter of days, it won't be.


No comments: