Thursday, March 11, 2004

Being and Becoming!

That's the distinction I was trying to make the other day, talking about my new outlook with the (soon-to-be) resolution of my financial distress.

Being and Becoming. Your life must be a work in progress, or it's nothing at all. With no money to do anything. ("Don't you see," asked Diabolique, "money is just energy?")

But it's got to be about what you're becoming. That is the key. I was stuck in just plain ol' being. Wake up. Drink tea. Go to work. Go to Starbucks. Hit the gym. Come home. Make dinner. Surf the web. Go to bed. Basically, breathing in and out.

After work today, I stopped at a tattoo place down in New Hope. Tragically, the walls were filled with the same designs you see every place. (Although I didn't see the chinese character for 'nose.') But I asked to speak to the artist. When he was free inking a rose on a woman's calf or something we had a talk. I told him I wanted work done. I had some ideas of images, but nothing firm. I wanted something dramatic. Arresting. One of a kind.

He suggested that I start by collecting ideas. I don't have to commit to something, but if I bring in some images to put on the table, he'd work with me to come up with a design.

That's when it all clicked. Yesssss... I've got to figure out what I'm becoming. The man I will be.

Becoming.


No comments: