Sunday, March 21, 2004

Palm Springs Ho!

So I sent Special Guy an email. Along the lines of 'Hey! How goes it? How's your life in SF? Miss you!' Y'know. Sort of dangling a line in the water and seeing if there was a bite.

Well, today I got an email in reply. A veritable Koan of an email. It wasn't so much what Special Guy said, as what he didn't say. There was no 'let's keep in touch!' or 'it would be great to see you again!' kinda thing.

Well. That's kind of a given. Both Special Guy and I turned the page. What we had was wonderful, but it's for discussion in the past tense.

Right. Got that. All clear.

So, it would probably not be a good idea to trek across the country to a city that otherwise holds no attraction to me in the hopes that some spark will be rekindled. Special Guy and I have already told each other that what we had was beautiful. I told him I would probably never find another man like him. (I really did that! I expressed my feelings honestly and directly to the person who was the object of those feelings! Go me!)

So Palm Springs it is. Arrive on Saturday. Check into the Desert Bear Inn. Check out the local leather watering hole on Saturday night. Relax on Sunday and get my bearings in the town on Sunday. During the week, monday through Friday, plan some hiking, some horseback riding, a trip to San Diego. A trip to LA to see galleries. Maybe hit the beach. Eat some good food. Soak in a hot tub looking at the stars. Spend time in the desert. Maybe track down some Leather Navigator and WorldLeathermen contacts in those fair cities. That would be a pretty perfect week. Fly back on Sunday, recharged.

Some of you more astute readers may be wondering, since the Financial Crisis has been resolved, am I still going to forgo Inferno this year in favor of Delta?

And I'm not sure.

Here's the big thing that's weighing on my mind as I consider that. You have a duty assignment for Inferno. I've always done set-up. Set-up rocks! You get to meet and chat and work (hard!) with a bunch of the guys you're about spend the run with. It's pretty sweet.

But last year at Inferno, I was approached by a man we'll call FireMaster. FireMaster's bailiwig is transportation. He does it ably assisted by none other than Alpha. And he was thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a third man onto the team. And since I drive, and since I'm buddies with Alpha, I would be a good candidate.

That would be so cool! Here's the pay-off for the duty: you get to meet all the guys at the airport! Beyond extending a warm welcome, getting the run off the on the right foot for them, you also get to scope out who you might want to play with. Why, it's like one of those reality game shows. You're basically meeting them one on one as they arrive.

And, since I enthusiastically agreed, I would hate to let FireMaster down.

Huh.

I'll think about that.


No comments: