Saturday, March 06, 2004

Worm Moon

"Shine on... shine on Harvest Moon, up in the sky!
You know, I'll always love you in January February June or July..."

You've heard that, right? And maybe even bandied around the term 'Harvest Moon.'

But did you know--gosh, the things you learn reading SingleTails--that the full moon in each month has a special name attached to it?

The full moon in September (there I was, at Inferno, looking up at it, saying goodbye to Mark) is indeed the Harvest Moon. Reason being, the light of the full moon would give farmers some extra time to get their harvest in.

But, agricultural sorts of folks assign names to other full moons as well. There's the Hunter's Moon (October), the Cold Moon (December), the Buck Moon (July), the Wolf Moon (January), the Snow Moon (February), and the Strawberry Moon (June). When there are two full moons in a month, the second one is referred to as the Blue Moon. Which you've also heard of. And a bunch more. Here's the whole list, courtesy of the Old Farmer's Almanac. The names of moons have Native American derivation, but where picked up by the European settlers.

Anyway, tonight is the Full Moon. And the full moon in March has a name, too. As opposed to the names of the other moons, which could all sort of serve as titles for gay erotic short stories, tonight will be the Worm Moon. So whatever you get up to tonight, be sure to take a moment and honor the Worm and his Moon!

And, it looks like I'll be at the GMSMA dungeon demo at the Eagle tonight, after my softball team meeting, after I meet some hot pig for coffee, after I go and smoke a cigar with a guy in Chelsea, all of which is after my meeting with Memory Sir this afternoon.

Memory Sir.

Got an email from cubby this a.m. She thought the rote memory thing was totally whack. And wouldn't put up with it. Not play with the guy.

I'm kinda inclined to go through with it. But here's what I'm gonna do.

I come in the door, strip off my shirt, drop to my knees (wearing my kneepads, of course), and then speak Ex Temp. I'll express my gratitude, say I'm here to serve, tell how I'll strive to be present as I RECEIVE, that kinda thing. Use my own words--which I'm pretty attached to--in other words.

Heh heh heh.

I'm sort of taking control of giving up control. If things go well, he'll get the joke there. If not, well... I guess I'll get beat.


No comments: