Sunday, March 28, 2004

Fun Doin's At The Supermarket

A Sunday to get things done. Burned the trash, cleaned up the yard, straightend up the kitchen. Then it was off to Starbucks,the gym, and grocery shopping. As I was heading out the door, my father told me that my brother and his wife were on their way over. But, the gym closes at 6 pm on Sunday's so I couldn't hang around to meet them.

But then, there I was picking out yogurt for my father in Clemons' Market, and who should come around the corner into the dairy aisle but my brother. He didn't spot me fifteen feet away, but I spotted him. I was inspired. I started singing along--really loud--with the piped in music. In this case, Petula Clark singing Downtown. There I was in the dairy aisle, singing "Dowwwwntown, we can go shopping when we're Dowwwwntown..."

Worked like a charm. My brother's face became this frozen mask. He looked straight ahead, staring at the cartons of milk in front of him. Then, put a half gallon in his basket and without glancing in my direction (you could almost hear is mind screaming don't-look-at-the-crazy-person-don't-look-at-the-crazy-person-don't-look-at-the-crazy-person) tried to beat a hasty retreat.

I called his name. He froze. Turned around. ...and then recognized me and broke into a grin. Very cool.


No comments: