Monday, March 22, 2004

The Hootie Effect

Now that's interesting.

I recently bought the Hootie & The Blowfish cd. They're only cd, because of the untimely death of the vocalist (if memory serves). They hit it big, putting out a wildly successful album, and then that was it.

It's gorgeous. Lush instrumentation, and vocals smooth as Southern Comfort. And it's so grown up. All about relationships. The devils bargains that we make in the game of love.

Anyway. Driving home tonight, I had this... this... thought: just what am I missing out on by being a homo? I'm talking about women.

The relationships that are... um... 'discussed' in the songs are different than what I know. With two men--and, I assume, two women--you kinda know what's up with your partner. You're both put together essentially the same way. But in hetero relationships, there are unfathomable levels of complexity. You never quite know what makes this person tick, this person whom you love.

I mean fuck! What would that be like? You're lying in bed, your partner in your arms, and this woman will always be an unexplored and unchartable continent.

Wow.

That would make life pretty interesting, huh?

Well, maybe I'm wrong about this. Maybe it's all the same with two people and one wash basin in the bathroom, no matter what combination of genitalia are involved.

Or maybe I should start hanging in straight bars.


No comments: